Skip to main content

Data Pro? SpringOne Platform has you Covered!

In a funny coincidence, SpringOne Platform, on September 24th, has lots of talks about stateless apps and stateless functions and it just happens to be located in Washington DC….a stateless district.

Those workloads are interesting, but I originally worked with the data products from Pivotal, so how we can manage and maintain state is a lot more interesting to me. Once “Platform” was added to the name of the conference, it began a metamorphosis into one that covered not only Spring development, but application/business transformation dev/ops, cloud, and data.

So, if you are someone who considers themselves a data or database person, the conference has a lot of interesting sessions to offer. I put on my green Greenplum Chucks and took a walk through the conference agenda to see what would interest me if I was a Data Professional and thought I could provide some highlights.

img-alternative-text

The conference officially begins on Tuesday, but if you are interested in an In-Memory data grid, super-fast transactions, or replication of key-value data across data centers, then you should look at attending the Apache Geode Summit on Monday the 24th from 1-6. Day 1.On Tuesday one session jumped out at me. Geode is Not a Cache, its an Analytics Engine by Sharif Ghazzawi from Resonate. Sharif obviously attended Great Titles 101, because this one JUMPED off the page at me. He will cover how the used Spring and Geode and probabilistic data structures to enable consumer analytics. This session has analytics, in-memory data grid, cost reduction, increased scalability, and world peace. Well, maybe not the last one, but you should definitely be in National Harbor 4-5 at 2:00pm on Tuesday

I am always interested in how customers actually use the technology from Pivotal and our partners. At 2:40 in National Harbor 10-11 on Tuesday, Lenny Jaramillo will present Migrating from Big Data Architecture to Spring Cloud. This one is all about Northern Trust and their pivot away from a pure Big Data architecture. It will be interesting to see the pre and post architecture and why they made the move.

Later that day, two sessions immediately grabbed my interest. They happen to be at the same time, so whichever one seems more applicable can be attended live, and then catch the video of the other session.

The first, Machines Can Learn - a Practical Take on Machine Intelligence Using Spring Cloud Data Flow and TensorFlow presented by Christian Tzolov. He is one of the smartest and most innovative people I know. This session will walk through an example of using TensorFlow to provide machine intelligence to cloud-native applications. I know where I will be at 5:40 on the Tuesday the 25th. Maryland Ballroom C

The second session, Containerizing a Data Warehouse for Kubernetes is near and dear to my heart. I have blogged about it, tested it, and I am eagerly awaiting the official release of Greenplum for Kubernetes. Jemish Patel will cover all the complexities that this implementation encountered and tell us why it’s so cool! This team is building a Kubernetes Operator to deploy and operate an MPP Analytics Data Warehouse. This one is in Maryland Ballroom D at 5:40.

Who would have thought putting something green inside an orchestration and automation engine would make it so powerful? Great sessions so far, and that’s Day 1. Now for Day 2.Is a technical conference really a technical conference without an Apache Kafka presentation? On Wednesday At 11:30, in Maryland ballroom D, Confluent and Pivotal will present Cloud-Native Streaming Platform: Running Apache Kafka on PKS. My good friend, Prasad Radhakrishnan will be presenting from Pivotal and his team has done tremendous work in helping bring this solution to market. So, attend this session and as a joke tell Prasad the session wasn’t technical enough for you (He loves that!)

Then at 3:20 on Wednesday in National Harbor 4-5, Pivotal and MongoDB will present Next Generation MongoDB: Sessions, Streams, Transactions. This one is all about using Spring Data and the new features in MongoDB 4.0. I don’t know very much about MongoDB, so this one is a can’t miss for me.

Tired yet? I will have taken off the green Chucks because if you have ever worn Chuck Taylors for more than a day at a conference you know to never wear Chuck Taylors more than a day at a conference. Day 3: Thursday.It’s a short day, but another two sessions made my list. At 10:30, in Maryland Ballroom C, Sabby, and Soby from the Spring Cloud Data Flow team will present the second Kafka session I will be attending. Cloud-Native Streaming with Spring and Kafka Streams. This one will cover orchestration of stateful streaming applications. Keep the notebook handy, because this one should have tons of good data points.

Then, to close out the conference for me, at 11:50 in National Harbor 4-5, Pivotal and Yugabyte are co-presenting YugaByte DB - A Planet-Scale Database for Low Latency Transactional Apps. Amey Banarse from Pivotal, another great friend, and my technical tutor has put together some really cool demos for this one. I would encourage you if you haven’t seen YugaByteDB…get to this session. You will not be sorry. Seriously. Check this one out. Now What.So, that does it for my session highlights for Data folks attending SpringOne Platform. If you haven't registered, go do it now. These are by no means the only data sessions available, and there is something at this conference for almost everyone. These were the ones that just bounced up off the page for me. Hopefully, you find this useful and give me a shout on Twitter while at the conference (@dbbaskette) and we can meet face to face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CF Summit 2018

I just returned from CF Summit 2018 in Boston. It was a great event this year that was even more exciting for Pivotal employees because of our IPO during the event. I had every intention of writing a technology focused post, but after having some time to reflect on the week I decided to take a different route. After all the sessions were complete and I was reflecting on the large numbers of end-users that I had seen present, I decided to go through the schedule and pick out the names of companies that are leveraging Cloud Foundry in some way and were so passionate about it that they spoke about it at this event.   I might have missed a couple when compiling this list, so if you know of one not on here, it was not intentional. Allstate Humana T-Mobile ZipCar Comcast United States Air Force Scotiabank National Geospatial-Intelligence

Isilon HDFS User Access

I recently posted a blog about using my app Mystique to enable you to use HUE (webHDFS) while leveraging Isilon for your HDFS data storage.   I had a few questions about the entire system and decided to also approach this from a different angle.   This angle is more of "Why would you even use WebHDFS and the HUE File Browser when you have Isilon?"    The reality is you really don't need it, because the Isilon platform give you multiple options for working directly with the files that need to be accessed via Hadoop.   Isilon HDFS is implemented as just another API, so the data stored in OneFS can be accessed via NFS, SMB, HTTP, FTP, and HDFS.   This actually open up a lot of possibilities that make the requirements for some of the traditional tools like WebHDFS, and in some cases Flume go away because I can read and write via something like NFS.   For example, one customer is leveraging the NFS functionality to write weblogs directly to the share, then Hadoop can run MapRe

Is Hadoop Dead or Just Much Less Important?

I recently read a blog discussing the fever to declare Hadoop as dead. While I agreed with the premise of the blog, I didn't agree with some of its conclusions. In summary, the conclusion was that if Hadoop is too complex you are using the wrong interface. I agree at face-value with that conclusion, but in my opinion, the user-interface only addresses a part of the complexity and the management of a Hadoop deployment is still a complex undertaking. Time to value is important for enterprise customers, so this is why the tooling above Hadoop was such an early pain-point. The core Hadoop vendors wanted to focus on how processes executed and programming paradigms and seemed to ignore the interface to Hadoop. Much of that stems from the desire for Hadoop to be the operating system for Big Data. There was even a push to make it the  compute cluster manager for all-things in the Enterprise. This effort, and others like it, tried to expand the footprint of commercial distributions of H